I believe the best place to have your family photo session is the place that tells more about your story.
I always give my clients the option of a photo session in their home or at a location they love and often go together, which could be a park or a beach or any of the beautiful places we have in Dublin and Ireland!
So, if you are pregnant, have a newborn or little kids and are thinking of having a family photoshoot, I want to help you decide what is best for you, today I'll tell you a little bit about the pros of having a session at home!
1. It's comfortable for everybody: Well, it's where you live! All you need to do is to spruce up your home, get ready and get the kids ready!
Your children are more likely to be themselves and trust a strange photographer in their own environment. In my sessions the kids are often taking me to see their bedrooms, showing me their favorite toys, books, it's very easy for them to be natural, and it's also great for me to capture lovely candid moments!
2. We make memories of the family home: The photos we are taking today will be even more precious in the future, the decoration of your kids room is probably going to change as they grow, you could move houses in a few years or just move things around, having renovations, documenting your home and your routine today is going to keep the memories of this time of their lives forever! The chair where you read for them, the bed that sometimes becomes a train, the kitchen where you like to cook together, they are naturally perfect to make amazing documentary type of photography that will help tell your family history to future generations!
3. We don't have to worry about the weather: Yes, this is a BIG pro! We live in Ireland, it could be sunny in the morning and suddenly it could rain, it could snow, and the wind? Seriously! At home we don't even need to check the weather forecast!
4. Nobody is watching: At home there will never be an audience watching what we are doing like sometimes happens at a park, it's easier for you to be yourself, you can be silly, your can jump on the bed, dance with your kids. You can have family fun! And I have to say, these little family moments make the best photos!
5. You don't have to go anywhere: That's a nice reason, isn't it? Packing the kids' bag, extra clothes, snacks, toys, wipes, forget about it! If you have a newborn baby, It's for sure the best option! No need to drive, sit in traffic, park, easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Some things that you might be thinking...
*My house is too dark... Don't you worry about that, if you have a window, we will be fine! It's my job to find the best light in your home! I do love natural light and I have my tricks! And I will also be prepared to add some extra light if I really need to.
*I don't have a Pinterest house... Your house perfect the way it is, the main purpose of documentary family photos at home is to make the memories of this amazing place you call home, one day you might be in a different home and you will have the photos to remind you of that part of your life.
*It's hard to keep the house tidy... I know, I have the same problem! But actually, that's not a problem at all, I will always move things out of my frame if I don't want them in the photo, so your house doesn't have to be absolutely spotless! And besides, a little bit of a mess gives the home more personality ;)
*But I do love the park we go every weekend too... It's fine, maybe an outdoor session will be the best option for you, the most important thing is to tell the story of your family, and a park can work beautifully too!
That's it today!